And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad
So I had another for desert
Waylon Jennings ......(is this poetry or what!)
MUSH SUNDAY
AAAh Mad Sunday. The day all the sportsbike lads and ladies on Blades, R1's Gixxers blah blah blah, prove to themselves they coulda been a contender. The mere fact that the mountain is now one way and open speed limit all fortnight instead of only Sunday does not diminish that Mad Sunday is still the day. There's Nigels, Rogers and Marks from the UK, a whole array of Pierres from France, young Giacomos and Valentinos from Italy, the immaculate Germans and Austrians, Dutchmen in Kevlar clogs, a brace of weirdos on cub 50's and classic bikes, in fact every European country is represented all looking resplendent in the latest leather or old school cool in oiled Belstaff.
And Ron and Deano from Australia on....DDDDDr650's
"WE WANT THOSE SHIRTS ......OK!"
I roll out the tent around sevenish... and the weather is crap. Today's the day, just gotta do one lap and into Douglas to get the shirt. I get my poo and breakfast bap (disgusting tasty camp food ) sorted early. And then the weather....stays the same. The road/track is already droning and packed with bikes and performance cars (which should be banned from this...don't get me started) so we tog up and hit the track.We bomb along in an endless line with the sportbike folk carving up the traffic - some to their peril. The weather is clear and quite pleasant as we round Ramsey to head up the mountain. We get stopped for a short time and get a couple of photos in the sunshine. Up we go and straight away get enveloped in the wettest thickest fog I have ever seen. We are mixing it with bikes of all sizes but worst of all performance cars are carving up the bikes like crazy in almost zero visibility. This is SERIOUSLY dangerous so we stop on top at the Bungalow to have a coffee and see if it clears. An hour later it's probably worse so we DDDDr off into the fog. I make sure we ride right round back to the entrance of the campground from where we left (yes I'm anal....in case you haven't noticed) to make sure we complete the whole lap. Done tick.
THE SHIRTS ARE OURS
(I might need another poo though)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
I roll out the tent around sevenish... and the weather is crap. Today's the day, just gotta do one lap and into Douglas to get the shirt. I get my poo and breakfast bap (disgusting tasty camp food ) sorted early. And then the weather....stays the same. The road/track is already droning and packed with bikes and performance cars (which should be banned from this...don't get me started) so we tog up and hit the track.We bomb along in an endless line with the sportbike folk carving up the traffic - some to their peril. The weather is clear and quite pleasant as we round Ramsey to head up the mountain. We get stopped for a short time and get a couple of photos in the sunshine. Up we go and straight away get enveloped in the wettest thickest fog I have ever seen. We are mixing it with bikes of all sizes but worst of all performance cars are carving up the bikes like crazy in almost zero visibility. This is SERIOUSLY dangerous so we stop on top at the Bungalow to have a coffee and see if it clears. An hour later it's probably worse so we DDDDr off into the fog. I make sure we ride right round back to the entrance of the campground from where we left (yes I'm anal....in case you haven't noticed) to make sure we complete the whole lap. Done tick.
THE SHIRTS ARE OURS
(I might need another poo though)
![]() |
| OK lads be careful it's slippery up there......yeh nah we're good |
![]() |
| This is ten minutes later at the Bungalow......well five on a sportsbike......ten on the DR...OMG |
![]() |
| And five minutes later at Creg ny baa....phew almost done |












This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog Dean. Keep it up
ReplyDeleteYou have missed your calling Dean , you should have been a journo !! Now I know where Sean gets it from !
ReplyDeleteWhat an experience all the thrills and spills of the famous IOM 2014 and a blow by blow account from the Ozzie duo equivalent of Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman . ( Not sure yet which ones which , but I suspect Ron my fit Charley's shoes best !! ) Enjoy yourselves guy's and stay safe .
Rob.
Excellent again! I always thought Baps were something different entirely....
ReplyDelete